Friday, March 12, 2010

My apologies...

To forgive is the highest, most beautiful form of love. In return, you will receive untold peace and happiness - Robert Muller

People talk about those ‘three difficult words’, ‘I love you’. Then there are others, such as ‘thank you’, ‘good-bye’ and ‘it’s my fault’. The most difficult words to say however include merely two little, itty-bitty, enormously effective words – ‘I’m sorry’.

You all know what I am talking about. No one is perfect. We are all in fact human and sometimes we all – yes, we all – make mistakes. What is important is how we choose to pick ourselves up from our mistakes, but this is by no means a small task. What sounds simple enough has the flesh of grown men breaking into rash.

Oh yes, you were wrong. You’re not as wonderful as you think you are.

This realisation may turn your road to error-recovery from difficult, to extremely complicated.

So, what to do? The first step is realising that you have made a mistake. Sometimes it may take a while for you to realise that the mistake is yours and when you do, I promise it is going to make your stomach curl. Once you have admitted your mistake to yourself, its time to tell those who were effected by your mistake that you are sorry. Apologising to the people hurt or affected is the first step; you are aware of your mistake and you are sorry. Try it out. ‘I’m sorry’.

It’s not as difficult as it seems. It isn’t even as remotely complicated as you would like to think. Putting these two short words into your vocabulary regularly, means that you have overcome your fear of your being wrong.

‘I’m sorry’ will make you feel better. It will help you heal. The best part is that it will help the person you have hurt to heal too. Whether your mistake is one with friends, business colleagues, a loved one or something in practice that you have blotched up, just say sorry. Don’t be afraid. Taking this big step will reward you with the best prize of all, those ‘three difficult words’, ‘I forgive you’.

2 comments:

  1. Wow Kerry, what a good topic! You are right, we all find it hard to admit when we are wrong. Really well structured, I like how you chose the words, I forgive you, as the last line.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really enjoyed reading this one. It is very very true, we all seem to find ourselves feeling a little icky at some stage and its either your fault or someone elses... and most of the time I just chalk it up to my fault juuuuust incase. Sometimes it just sucks to be the one to say sorry all time, do you know what I mean?

    Humans are funny things, but we all end up on the path we're meant to be with the right kind of passion and enthusiam.

    Great topic. Relevant to everyone :-)

    ReplyDelete